I adore P. I really do. FACT. I also adore cooking for him. What I don’t adore is his lack of love for all things seafood. I would live on seafood every day if I could.
P has disappeared off to San Francisco today, off on holiday with the boys for two weeks. Yup…you heard me…..two weeks. We don’t even own a pet to keep me company! It’s going to be a lonely ole time for little ole me. So to cheer myself up, and revel in things I love when the man I love has buggered off for a while….I’m eating mussels!
Mussels need very little cooking, so no need for a real recipe here
- Stick them in the bottom of a large, heavy-based pan with a small amount of water and turn up the heat to steam them. As soon as the shells start gaping open, you know they are ready.
- Try not to overcook them or it’ll be like chewing rubber bands.
- Get rid of any that haven’t opened…it’s not that they’ll kill you, they are just a pig to open and cooks have been telling us forever to chuck ’em.
Now I like my mussels
from Brussels in a garlic white wine sauce which is pretty easy peasy to do.
- 1 tsp butter
- 1 good old glug and a bit of Chardonnay or other non-sweet white wine
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced/crushed/hacked to death
- Kill your garlic in your chosen fashion and heat it up in a pan along with your butter.
- Add your onions, and fry till translucent.
- Whack in your wine and heat for a few minutes to let the flavours mingle.
- Pour over your mussels and serve.
- Eat with copious amounts of carbs (I either have crusty bread, chips or pasta) and wiggle with delight.
What is your Party for One dish?