After my week in Wales, I felt the need to cook some Welsh Tea Cake, also known as Bara Brith. This is perfect with a cuppa, slathered in butter. The cake…don’t ruin a good cup of tea this way…
This recipe takes some time…some overnight time….so be prepared!
- 80z Sugar
- 12oz Dried Fruit
- 1/2 pint of Tea (I find English Breakfast works best…but PG Tips would work just as well!)
- 10oz Flour
- 1 Egg
- Brew up 1/2 a pint of tea. Let it cool.
- Pour the tea into a bowl, add the sugar and dried fruit, stir and leave stood (covered) overnight.
- The next day, set your oven to 170ºc (or Gas Mark 3 if you are that way inclined) and allow to preheat. Grease, and line a loaf tin. (I use my silicone one…BAM!)
- Mix your tea/fruit mix (the fruit should have sucked up most of the tea, making it all plump and squishy) with the flour and egg.
- Pour into your loaf tin and then bake for 1 1/2 hours.
- Always check your cakes by skewering them (I use a fondue pick – Classy eh?) and ensuring the skewer comes out of the cake clean.
I’m about to go shove some more of this in my face! YUMMY!