P complains sometimes that we don’t eat a lot of meat week to week in our evening meals.
The reason meat is so lightly peppered into our diet is due to the fact that it is so expensive. I even pad out of beef mince with breadcrumbs so it goes further, like my grandparents used to. Vegetables are so much cheaper, but I gave in this week as sometimes you do need a bit of meat.
This recipe was born out of P’s need for meat, and my unwillingness to spend too much on our food bill.
Banging Chilli & Mash
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 4 Sausages (of your choice – I used bog standard Pork)
- 1 400g tin of Kidney beans
- 1 400g tin of Chopped Tomatoes
- 1 red chilli, deseeded (but throw in a few seeds if you like it hot hot!)
- A good old whoosh of Worcester Sauce
- Potatoes (enough to mash for 4)
- Knob of butter
- Glug of milk
- First of all, get your potatoes peeled, chopped small and in the pan, bringing to the boil. They will need to boil for 20 minutes. They can do that whilst you crack on with the bangers.
- Chop up your sausages into small discs and fry in a teensy amount of oil….because they let out LOADS of their own.
- Drain off the excess oil (into an empty can to cool before you bin it…not down the drain you naughties!) and remove from the heat to add your kidney beans and tinned toms.
- Return to a lower heat, add your chilli and Worcester sauce, giving it a good stir.
- Now let it simmer for 10 minutes and turn your attention back to your spuds.
- Drain and mash your spuds, adding the butter and milk to make it creamy and then add your chopped chives. I use frozen chives that I have salvaged from my plant weekly. It defrosted pretty quick and doesn’t make the mash go green which I prefer.
- Serve and enjoy.
I know the recipe says Serves 4, and we are only 2, but P had seconds and I used some in a wrap for my lunch today. Was even yummy cold!
THRIFTY – I bought a pack of 8 sausages, which meant that I still have another 4 left, making this quite a cheap, yet meaty meal! You could even add an odd chopped slice of bacon or two if you are feeling flush!