Until this weekend, I thought I was an odd 25-year-old for asking for a slow cooker for my birthday from Papa Pigeon. That is until some of us went to visit our gorgeous best friend last weekend in Manchester, and she whipped hers out with glee! What followed was an epic hour-long conversation between 4 women about food and the amazingness of slow cookers….. we obviously need to get a life right?
Slow cookers are honestly an amazing invention. Whack it on before you go to work (or an epic shop-a-thon like we did last Saturday), come home to amazing yumminess with minimal effort.
Slow Cooker Veggie Chilli
This recipe is only what I used THIS TIME. You can chuck ANYTHING in here! Change the quantities of veggies to suit you and your household!
- A medium courgette – chopped into chunks
- 2 medium Green Peppers
- Half a large Onion (chopped)
- x2 tins of Sweetcorn
- 2 cloves of Garlic (crushed)
- 2 tsps of chopped chilli (I use the Lazy kind)
- 4 leaves of Basil (Chopped)
- x2 400g tins/cartons of chopped Tomatoes
- x1 tin of Kidney Beans or Mixed Bean Salad
- Whack it all in the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 9-10 hours or high for 4-5
- To serve, ladle into bowls, and cover with grated cheese!
This recipe fed us for one LARGE bowl of chilli each, and I froze two portions for quick meals-for-one for Him Indoors when I’m working late.
I do plan to use one of these portions next week by frying off some beef mince and mixing it with the veggie chilli. Quick and easy meat chilli or Spaghetti Bolognese! BAM!